Monday 28 April 2014

Final Major Project [Post 13] ~ Pretty Glowy Things

 This week I have mainly just been finishing off everything and making sure everything looks good, I redid the walls in the hall to be more efficient, and made a new texture for the lower part of the walls. Every time I looked at the brickwork on the hall walls I just felt that it never really looked right, I was happy with the normal and specular but not the diffuse. I painted over my diffuse to make it less saturated and more of a brown colour rather than grey. This has made the room feel a lot warmer in my opinion and it compliments the new wallpaper in the seated area quite nicely. I am quite happy with this room now, but I feel that maybe it needs more things in it to make it less empty. 

I have been researching a lot about animating a glowy material for my logs and embers in the fireplaces and I finally found a solution. Most of the techniques I found previously, required a matinee animation and I thought that there must be a different way to do this, as I have seen animated materials before, but have never known how to create them. I want to prove that I can do other things, I already have a lot of matinee animations, and I want to learn new things. I finally figured out how to get the look I wanted without using matinee, but instead using sine nodes. It doesn't look exactly right, as all of the glowing is pulsating at the same time, but I am happy with it for the moment. If I have some extra time after completing everything else I want to do, I will look more into this. 



One of the big important things in my level is the stained glass window, projecting moonlight into the hall. I wrote about this on my project brief but couldn't get it to look right until now. I originally tried using a light that projected the stained glass texture onto the floor using the light function setting, this didn't look right at all and looked more like I had just put a decal on the floor. So I thought about it in a completely different way, instead all that I have done is made the window itself emissive, and put 3 lights, in each primary colour coming from the window with light shafts enabled. This has made a lovely and dramatic effect on the window and I am really happy with it.

I don't have a lot more to do in my level now, I literally just have a very small list of things to tidy up, I am very glad of this as I am tired of my level and just want to hand it in! I have bought some CD stickers and I'm actually quite excited to print out a nice design, stick it to a disc and burn all of my level onto the disc, I am quite proud of what I've achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment