Friday 2 May 2014

Final Major Project [Post 14] ~ Smashed Windows and Ridiculously Large Cushions

I finally got round to creating the smashed window in the hall, (to signify the player has broken in) it was simple enough to do but to add a bit more atmosphere I decided to put some rain outside. Instead of using a particle effect that I am quite familiar with, I created this rain on an animated material to teach myself something new. I was really pleased with the outcome and feel that it makes the windows themselves more interesting and draws more attention to the smash. 

I had the usual problems with the fact that the rain used alpha and so was impossible to actually select in the normal UDK view, and because I have a lot of assets in my level now, its quite difficult to distinguish in wire frame view.

I had a slight problem with UDK itself at this point, because I'm not very familiar with actually building things in the engine as I generally just import my own assets that I have built in 3DS Max. Unlike every single program that I have used in the past, UDK doesn't recognise Ctrl+A as Select All, and instead drops whatever material you have selected down on where the UDK box is. Unknown to me, I tried selecting my level by pressing Ctrl+A, it didn't work so I thought it didn't actually do anything, turns out I had actually made it rain in my dining room! After a lot of frustration to figure out how to get rid of said rain, I realise this was actually quite funny and at least I know how to fix this in the future if I accidentally try and use short cut keys. 
Other than just general re-texturing of things and adding some more stealable assets, I don't really have much to write about, I am really just doing the finishing touches to my level. I have finished most things and am very happy with what I have made. 
On another note, when I imported my re-textured cushions they were bigger than the chairs, which made no sense whatsoever, I re-imported them again and they were the correct size. I think I may have found a problem with either exporting from 3D Studio Max or importing into UDK. 

 What?

No comments:

Post a Comment