Friday 18 April 2014

Final Major Project [Post 12] ~ Redesigned Rooms and Scary Portraits

Here is a video showing what my level currently looks like, it shows the working doors, new library key actions and more stealable things.

As I briefly mentioned in one of my past posts, I have been moving assets about to create more interesting layouts, the most noticeable are the sitting room and the library. I have added more chairs and rugs to the sitting room to make it more cosy and less empty feeling, I would like to experiment with the chairs some more to make them look more impressive, maybe play around with some normal maps. I have recently picked up a copy of NDO2 so this might be a good program to use for this sort of thing, but we shall see as I have never used it before. I will also add some mirrors to the walls in the sitting room as manor houses often did this to make the rooms look bigger. 


In the library I put more focus into the seating area, adding a chaise longue and moving some of the bookcases around. I changed some of the colours of the books as well to add more diversity. I don't think that there is much more to do in the library, I am quite happy with it as it is. Of course I have to work on the fireplace, but this is the case with all of the rooms and I will probably just reuse the same fireplace interior, I would like it to be filled with glowing embers/logs.
The study area just needs a few little tweaks, like I feel that the desk is too high, the bust should be somewhere else, but other than that and the addition of some paintings and a war newspaper, this area will be finished. I am very happy with the fretwork on the room dividers, it is only a simple alpha texture, but I feel that it gives more of a finished look to the room.

I worked a lot on the interior of the treasure room, I had previously ignored this room and concentrated more on the other rooms, but this is the finale of the level so it needed some work. I have reused a lot of the stealable assets that were dotted around the level, as a hint that "this is what you could have stolen" incase the player missed anything. 
This room is supposed to look very cluttered and abandoned, like the treasures have just been thrown in there and forgotten over the years. I might have a congratulations message come up on the screen when the player enters and maybe a twinkly treasure noise. However I think I mainly need to look at the colour scheme/lighting in this room as it is very bright and "in your face"!

I was a little concerned about the paintings throughout my level, currently I only have finished paintings in the dining room, and 2 paintings in the hall. Because of this I begrudgingly took some photos of myself dressed up and Photoshopped them to look less like me and more like paintings, I don't think that this is cheating as they are my own photos, I haven't taken them from the internet and I am admitting here that I didn't paint them myself. 
I did this to save time as my digital painting skills aren't great and it would have taken me days to properly paint a portrait from scratch, let alone a few portraits as I am not very quick with painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment