Skip to main content

Final Major Project [Post 6] ~ Engine Update

Other than creating a lot more assets for my level, I have been working a lot in UDK itself to make my game work how I would like it to. I had problems for a while trying to figure out how to get the player to “steal” items, and finding a tutorial online was proving more difficult as I didn’t know the correct term to search for. I have found over the years that if you don’t know the correct word, then you won’t find what you’re looking for. However, I figured that I was thinking about this completely the wrong way, in that I was looking for “picking up” items or “stealing” items, but really all I wanted was the item to disappear when the player activated it. Once I had figured this out, I realised that maybe the item itself didn’t need to be taken, but it needed to appear that it was gone. I then just set up a simple Kismet table with a Matinee “visibility animation” attached to a trigger on the asset.

To create the right feel to the level, I made the whole level completely dark by disabling “global illumination” I then tried tackling the problem of getting the player to emit light, like they were holding a torch. A followed a tutorial where a spot light needed to be “Hard attached” to the player’s right arm. This works completely fine in third person view, but because I have a specific time period for my game, I don’t want to be able to see the default robot player. I have set my level to first person and hidden the futuristic default gun. When in first person, the attached light moves from side to side when the player looks around, but stays stationary when looking up or down. The light moves when the player jumps, but just wont move when looking. I have asked people in class about this and the main opinion seems to be that I will have to look into coding. I have no experience with game coding, as I am doing an art course and have no idea where to start with this, so I am going to try and find a way around this or make it somewhat easier for myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rooftop Project ~ Post 2

How the Level Was Made (Continued): I made a springy chicken ride that I wanted to be interactive; I struggled quite a lot with finding the correct thing to search Google for to make this work. All I want it to do is I want the base to stay stationary on the floor and the chicken to move on the spring when the player walks into it or tries to jump on it. I ended up using the InterativeFoliageActor which worked very well apart from the base also springed around all over the place through the floor, and the collision on the chicken had disappeared, so the player can just walk straight through it. I fixed this problem simply by deleting the base off the chicken mesh, and making a separate base with an invisible barrier collision going up through the chicken mesh. After doing some research on what playground items would be around In Tudor times I leant that the only fun past time they actually had was things like skittles and hoopla, so I added some skittles and a ball made of pigskin....

Website

Just a little self-promotion post to say I now have a website! Please feel free to take a look at my work: http://www.maffylees.co.uk And here is my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Maffkins ^____^

References Used Throughout This Project

Manors Visited: Highclere Castle – Newbury, England Wollaton Hall – Nottingham, England Windsor Castle – Windsor , England Greenway House – Devon, England Catherine Palace – St. Petersburg, Russia Hermitage Museum – St. Petersburg, Russia Books Read: Blenheim Palace Guide Book Althorp House Guide Book Wollaton Hall and the Willoughby Family - Pamela Marshall Castles and Houses Websites Used: General 3D and UDK Help: http://www.digitaltutors.com Flashlight Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUhNISTX_tQ Various Forum Discussions: www.polycount.com Various Forum Discussions: http://forums.epicgames.com Royalty Free sounds: soundbible.com Soundjay.com Freeplaymusic.com Convert mp3 sounds to wav: http://media.io/ Media Watched: Pride and Prejudice (Film) Death Comes to Pemberly (TV Drama) Downton Abbey (TV Drama) Poirot (TV Drama) Mr.Selfridge (TV Drama)