Skip to main content

Final Major Project [Post 5] ~ Testing in Engine

 I have put most of my untextured assets into UDK to see what they will look like as a scene and if they are the correct scale etc. I found that most things looked correct until I realised that I hadn’t changed the game mode, which was a bit of a noob mistake. Changing the game mode then meant that the player size had changed making my level look too big and adding a gun that I didn’t need. I fixed these problems by finding a few UDK console commands and then adding them to Kismet under the “level loaded” box. 
I changed the player size, the camera perspective and hid the gun. Making the secret door was easy, it’s just a simple Matinee animation, moving the bookcase asset to the side, the trigger is on a marble bust at the other end of the library. I found out that there is another Kismet function that displays any text on the screen, so when the player gets near the bust a message saying “Press E to activate” appears on screen. I would like to add an animation to the bust where the head moves backwards revealing a button, a lot like on the original Batman. I need to make the secret door and even the route of the level more obvious to the player, as I found when someone else played my level, they didn’t know where to go, as some doors open and others don’t.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rooftop Project ~ Post 2

How the Level Was Made (Continued): I made a springy chicken ride that I wanted to be interactive; I struggled quite a lot with finding the correct thing to search Google for to make this work. All I want it to do is I want the base to stay stationary on the floor and the chicken to move on the spring when the player walks into it or tries to jump on it. I ended up using the InterativeFoliageActor which worked very well apart from the base also springed around all over the place through the floor, and the collision on the chicken had disappeared, so the player can just walk straight through it. I fixed this problem simply by deleting the base off the chicken mesh, and making a separate base with an invisible barrier collision going up through the chicken mesh. After doing some research on what playground items would be around In Tudor times I leant that the only fun past time they actually had was things like skittles and hoopla, so I added some skittles and a ball made of pigskin....

Website

Just a little self-promotion post to say I now have a website! Please feel free to take a look at my work: http://www.maffylees.co.uk And here is my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Maffkins ^____^

References Used Throughout This Project

Manors Visited: Highclere Castle – Newbury, England Wollaton Hall – Nottingham, England Windsor Castle – Windsor , England Greenway House – Devon, England Catherine Palace – St. Petersburg, Russia Hermitage Museum – St. Petersburg, Russia Books Read: Blenheim Palace Guide Book Althorp House Guide Book Wollaton Hall and the Willoughby Family - Pamela Marshall Castles and Houses Websites Used: General 3D and UDK Help: http://www.digitaltutors.com Flashlight Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUhNISTX_tQ Various Forum Discussions: www.polycount.com Various Forum Discussions: http://forums.epicgames.com Royalty Free sounds: soundbible.com Soundjay.com Freeplaymusic.com Convert mp3 sounds to wav: http://media.io/ Media Watched: Pride and Prejudice (Film) Death Comes to Pemberly (TV Drama) Downton Abbey (TV Drama) Poirot (TV Drama) Mr.Selfridge (TV Drama)